Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Hospital Orientation

Orientation began yesterday, and it is extremely boring. Mind-numblingly boring. As if 3 hours of welcome from the hospital chiefs wasn't enough, we had to sit through 9 -- yes, nine! -- hours of computer training. Overwhelming doesn't even begin to explain it, as every two hours a new topic or computer system would be covered. By the end of the night, we had learned about four different systems and I remembered zero.

The day was even more challenging as I could barely keep my eyes open, since for some reason I was unable to fall asleep the night before. I had no reason to be nervous, I kept telling myself as I tossed and turned in bed until 3:30am! Not helpful considering I had to wake up at 5:30am. Luckily I slept well the next night.

This week was also the first time the incoming interns were able to meet each other. While the lecture hall format of the day made it difficult to spend significant time with anyone, we mingled some and no one jumped out as being overly annoying or weird. I'm hopeful they will be cool, as this is a group that will be working very closely together the next few years.

Time to give my eyes a rest now ... 9 hours in front of a screen is no small feat.

No comments: