Friday, September 22, 2006

Neurology is Over!

I just took the neuro exam (aka, the shelf exam. or is it Shelf? SHELF?), which signifies the much-awaited end to my monthlong neurology clerkship. The shelf went as smoothly as all other shelfs (i.e. it didn't), but that is OK as long as I don't have to retake that exam.

I did learn a few things in this rotation:
  1. There are rounds more boring than medicine rounds.
  2. We still can't do much for stroke patients, despite advances in medicine and technology. Unfortunately if you get a (ischemic) stroke, much of what we can offer is supportive care and rehab.
  3. There is a good chance I might have MS (multiple sclerosis). But I'd rather not think about that too much.
Anyway, with luck I can retire my tuning fork and reflex hammer for good now.

And actually, now that I think about it, this test was also the last exam I will ever have to take in medical school. Nice.

No comments: