Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Merry Christmas, Sicko

I was on call on Christmas day and night. Initially I expected it to be a calm night with an empty emergency room, however, I soon realized it was the complete opposite.

The ED was full of people seeking medical attention for what I considered trivial reasons: a sore throat, a wound check, or best of all, a medication refill. It was truly surprising. Were these issues that important that they couldn't wait another day? Did they really find it preferable to be in a sterile, crowded emergency room than at home with their family or friends enjoying a nice Christmas evening?

I do realize that half of these people were likely homeless and were thus looking for a warm place to spend the holiday, but that doesn't explain the other half. To them, I simply wanted to yell at them to go home and leave these minor issues for a later date ... thus giving them, and me, a less hectic Christmas.

Merry Christmas, welcome to the hospital tonight.

2 comments:

MedStudentGod (MSG) said...

Yeah, I woulda thought the hospital would be dead on Christmas, but apparently a lot of ER's are busy during that time. What's wrong with people?

Maurice said...

Thank you for this post, really worthwhile data.
Chunky Beef Fritters