Monday, February 04, 2008

Dumbest Page Ever

Capping off a miserable day filled with endless obstacles more pages than I have ever received in one afternoon, I get paged by a nurse saying how a patient was refusing his medications. This didn't bother me per se, but I was annoyed that she didn't specify which med. I returned her page and asked which med it was, only to hear that it was a pain med. A pain med. A PRN medication. She was paging me to tell me a patient was refusing his prn pain med!

I couldn't believe it ... I really couldn't. While I didn't get angry on the phone, I did try to convey my anger with a stern voice. Unfortunately, my logic was completely lost on her.

A prn med ... I still can't believe it.

3 comments:

MedStudentGod (MSG) said...

Perhaps you've upset this nurse? Or maybe she's new and doesn't understand that PRN actually means - as needed.

Whatever the reason, that's just dumb.

Sara said...

I once had a patient list, among his medications, "Placebo, twice a day." He fully understood that it was an empty pill thanks to some nurse who explained it to him.

Jordan said...

Oh my god, there's a lot of helpful info above!
design shoes | shit sex | Calgary airport